A Season in Review: Field Hockey 2021

Emily Connor '22, Staff Writer

In 2021, the West Varsity Field Hockey team had their best season in 15 years. Led by Coach Coffey, the girls finished their season 12-10 and made it to the quarterfinal round of the playoffs versus Clearview High School in the NJSIAA Tournament for SJ Group 3. West faced off against Lacey Township High School in the first round, winning the game in a shutout 6-0. In the following round, they battled against Clearview. Clearview earned home-field advantage, yet West put up a big fight. Unfortunately, the Lions fell just short of a win losing 5-4 against Clearview to finish their 2021 season. 

Senior Captains Naomi Aristone, Cara Mailahn, Emily Hazel, and Aziza Ben Abdallah led their team to greatness this season. Not only was Emily Hazel was unstoppable with 23 goals, but she also led her team with 23 assists and 69 points on the season. Hazel was awarded 1st Team All-Conference and 2nd Team All-South Jersey. Naomi Aristone and fellow senior, Dhani Slaughter, were awarded 2nd Team All-Conference. Cara Mailahn also put up 8 goals, 2 assists, and 18 points. But let’s not forget about who guarded the net for the Lions. Senior, Abigail Sims, had 135 saves in 18 games played, becoming a wall in front of the goal. 

The 2021 Field Hockey roster was full of seniors to lead the pack. Adding Michelle Angelastro, Hailey Riess, and Catie Young to the list to make 9 seniors on the 2021 roster. They have all put in lots of work to pull off this great season. Cara Mailahn commented on how she thinks the number of seniors impacted this past season, “Having 9 seniors on the team contributed to our success completely because having those 9 leaders made us all very close. We all made the team become a family which helped us work together on the field. Becoming so successful and working together made our bonds and friendships even closer than they were before.” 

As the seniors head towards the future, Coach Coffey shared her final thoughts on the season with the girls, “My seniors​ have played an incredible part in making history for West Field Hockey. Every girl on the team looks up to them. They have each been great role models for what a leader looks like. I have been so proud to have been their coach for the past 4 years and can’t wait to see all of their successes in the future.”  

However, the seniors were not the only ones who brought their game face to the field. Freshman, Tatum Woods, was electric on the turf this season having 23 goals, 13 assists, and 59 points. Junior Mia Zaris had 12 goals, 3 assists, and 27 points for her 3rd-year varsity track.