The Holiday Must-Sees of the Season

The Holiday Must-Sees of the Season

Karla Rios '18, Staff Writer

It’s getting down to that magical time of the year again: the holiday season.

Even if your family doesn’t celebrate Christmas, there’s a sudden influx of Santa Claus songs on the radio and store mannequins start wearing sweaters that have reindeer and decorated pine trees knitted on them. The world goes so crazy on the idea of Santa Claus; people decorate their houses with the cheerful, white bearded man. New doors open up for just these few months like tiny specialty shacks and special once a year events occur, making everyone just a little bit happier.

Here is a list of the holiday must-sees to enjoy before the New Year rolls around.

Rotham Ice Rink

This outdoor rink opens in Dilworth Park, a place not too far off from the grand City Hall of Philadelphia on November 13th. While there is a small admission and shoe rental fee, the price is well worth the experience. Not only is it easy to get to with public transportation, the rink is host to several ideal skating events. Most notably, on Friday the 13th in February is the Zombie Skate. This event comes from the same minds of Behind the Walls Eastern State Penitentiary and has discounted pricing along with zombies.

Philadelphia’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

As you can guess, this wonderful gem takes place on Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 27th. Why should you tune away from the popular Macy’s Day Parade? First, at 95 years old the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade is the oldest of it’s kind in the country. It also contains a float made by Dunkin’ Donuts. Let that sink in, the unofficial coffee shop of the east coast has a float in a parade full of vibrant displays, musical performances of newly classic Disney songs, and marching bands that may raise a few eyebrows.

Christmas Village

On November 21st, this small village of tiny stores will open in Philadelphia’s famous Love Park. The Christmas Village is based on Germany’s own well known markets. The vendors that fill the village range from local jewelry places to German students who sell handmade toys. Live performances also take place daily on the stage in the center of the shops where you can listen and warm yourself with a hot beverage and gingerbread.