A Season in Review: West Cross Country 

Jill Shapiro '23, Staff Writer

This season, the boys’ and girls’ cross country teams were led by seniors Wyatt Marble and Megan Faucett. Both teams had good seasons resulting in both captain Wyatt Marble and sophomore Thomas Youse being awarded all conference honors. 

Both the boys’ and girls’ cross country teams participated in the Six Flags Wild Safari Invitational on September 25th. In the men’s 3200 meter race, Noah Casa placed highest for West, getting 10th place out of 157 other runners. He ran a time of 10:55. Also in this race, Bradley Bricker placed 30th with a time of 11:48, and Matt Sonn placed 48th, with a time of 12:19. 

Also at the Six Flags invitational, a number of girls did well in the 3200 meter race. Megan Faucett led the team winning 30th place with a time of 20:42. Julisa Rodriguez followed her with 62nd place and a time of 22:42. Sarah Davidson and Corinne Martello also ran for the Lions, winning 71st and 82nd place respectively.

Another big meet for the Lions was the The Camden County Championship, which took place on October 11th. In the men’s 5000 meter race, Thomas Youse ranked highest for the Lions at 45th. He ran a time of 20:48.15. Evan Boxley and Nathan Stehly also participated in the race, earning 68th and 69th place respectively. Unfortunately, no girls placed in the 5000 meter race this year. 

At the Olympic Conference Championship meet, the Lions found success in both the mens and womens 5000 meter races. Sarah Davidson came in 54th place with a time of 23:56.50. Jade Abejo also participated, with a time of 27:01.16, she earned 69th place for the Lions. In the men’s race, senior Wyatt Marble placed highest for the Lions. He ran a time of 18:14.91 and earned 47th place. Thomas Youse also did well in this race, running a time of 18:42.11 and placing 57th overall. 

The Boys placed 12th at the sectionals meet with a total of 329 points. Thomas Youse placed 37th in the 5000 meter and  Anthony Agbay, Bradley Bricker, and Jason Melroy all finished among the top 100 runners. The girls also did well at Sectionals with Megan Faucett finishing 19th overall. Runner Julisa Rodriguez also finished 34th overall in the 5000 meter race.

The Lions have their sights set on next season, with a strong team of returning runners.