Boys Soccer Recap

Chris Bellon '16, Staff Writer

This past fall, the Cherry Hill West boys soccer team had a very promising season. One of the team’s accomplishments this year was qualifying for the NJSIAA Tournament. Despite the shaky 2-3 start, with two of the three losses against tough teams like Washington Township and Cherokee, the Lions strung together a five game winning streak to keep their playoff hopes alive. Even though the team ended their final nine game stretch with a losing 3-5-1 record, the Lions were able to clinch a playoff spot.

The highlight players from this year include senior Nick Krake, who led the team and Olympic conference with 16 goals this year. Senior Joseph Poole and Junior Ishmael Boakai also racked up assists with 5 and 4 respectively. Lastly, Goalie Andrew Robertson was a brick wall in net for the Lions, saving 35 shots total this year.

In the first round of the NJSIAA Tournament, West surged their way to a 6-2 victory over Atlantic Tech. Senior striker Nick Krake went off, scoring four of the six goals. Ishmael Boakai and Saleem Sultani scored the other two goals for West.

Sadly, the boys soccer season came to an end when they lost in the second round of the group 3 playoffs to Ocean City high school, who beat West in the same round last year. “We were the better team, but that’s how soccer works,” stated Nick Krake, who ends a solid career at West. A two year All South Jersey first teamer and 45 career goals, Krake will go on to continue his academic and soccer career at the Catholic University of America.

As for next year, the main goal for West is to hopefully advance past the group 3 semi-finals and reach the South Jersey group 3 final and so on.