Florida Passes Law to Hurt LGBTQ+ Children

Jessica Amabile '24, Editor in Chief

Photo credit: Vox

On March 28, 2022, Florida’s governor Ron DeSantis signed a bill called “Parental Rights in Schools” into law.  Dubbed “Don’t Say Gay”, it bans mention of sexual orientation from kindergarten through third grade.  Additionally, it “prohibits lessons in other grades unless they are ‘age-appropriate and developmentally appropriate,’” according to FindLaw.  The bill has sparked a lot of controversy and conflict in the past weeks.

Disney is at the forefront of the conflict, with outspoken opposition to the law, since it goes against their efforts to help encourage children to embrace their identity.  NPR wrote, “During a press conference ahead of signing the law, DeSantis said teaching kindergarten-aged kids that ‘they can be whatever they want to be’ was ‘inappropriate’ for children.”  The very statement is ridiculous.  Disney has been promoting following your dreams for almost one hundred years, but apparently, DeSantis aims to destroy such ideas.  Shortly after Disney expressed their opposition to the bill, the Florida government revoked Disney’s special tax rights, in an action many see as a violation of First Amendment rights.

FindLaw summarizes the bill by stating, “[the] bill, titled Parental Rights in Education, states that lessons about sexual orientation are banned outright in kindergarten through third grade. It also prohibits lessons in other grades unless they are ‘age-appropriate and developmentally appropriate.’”  Unfortunately, nine other states have already written propositions for similar measures.  The bill’s potential to spread is especially concerning, as there are many unfavorable effects involved.

Photo credit: NBC

This bill has a substantial amount of potentially negative consequences.  For one, it will alienate students with LGBTQ+ parents or family members.  They would be looked down upon if they decide to speak about their queer family members at school, or kept from mentioning it all together, while their peers could bring up their nuclear families as much as they’d like.  Additionally, it is teaching kids from a young age to hate or fear those who are seen as different.  Without teaching these topics, it is so much more difficult for children to feel comfortable with themselves and their sexuality.  

This law will make LGBTQ+ students more likely to be bullied, attacked, and stigmatized, according to FindLaw.  This is also likely to increase already high suicide rates in LGBTQ+ kids.  NPR stated, “Studies have shown that LGBTQ youth already face higher health and suicide risks than their cisgender or straight peers. When those kids are given access to spaces that affirm their gender identity, they report lower rates of suicide attempts, according to The Trevor Project.”  The legislature suggests that teachers would be required to send parental notifications, which may ‘out’ students to their parents or guardians.  This is especially dangerous to students in abusive homes, or homes where they are likely to face consequences for something out of their control, such as sexual orientation or gender.  It also takes away the possibility for students to confide in their teachers.  

NPR stated, “The Trevor Project condemned the signing of the bill saying the bill erases “LGBTQ identity, history, and culture — as well as LGBTQ students themselves.’”  The Trevor Project is a reputable and trustworthy source for LGBTQ+ matters; if they condemn the bill outright, it is obvious that it will be extremely detrimental to the LGBTQ+ community and generations to come.  There is no beneficial reason for this to happen; there is no reason for this law to be passed.