The Refugee Crisis

Josee Matela '16, Staff Writer

Each day, I walk into West with a bright pink backpack. Throughout the day, I utilize its convenient carrying capabilities to add levels of ease to my day. Anatomy notebook? Bam. Right there in the big pocket. Empty stomach? Easily quelled by my snack for the day hidden in the front compartment. My backpack has become invaluably essential to my life as a student.

The dilemma arises when I forget my backpack for the day. Feelings of immediate panic and helplessness arise as I imagine the scenarios before me. I will be lost without my tedious notes in math and I will have no choice but to accept a zero for the paper due today. Not only have my capabilities as a student been restricted, but also the loss of my dear pink necessity has negatively impacted my chances to learn.

Many students are familiar with this feeling of complete distress. Yet, its effects are only temporary as they return the next day with their backpacks and a lesson learned.

Imagine not only losing your backpack everyday, but all the other necessities that revolve around your everyday life. One day, out of the blue, your semblance of a normal life is abruptly disrupted as you watch everything you know quickly disappear before your eyes. The things your life revolves around are entombed in the memories of the past, suddenly unable to be touched. You get no early warning besides the fear growing in your mother’s eyes and the fact that your father has not returned after three weeks of questioning by the police.

This is the situation encountered by many of the refugees fleeing from their war-torn homes in Syria and Iraq. With very little to nothing at all, they are forced to desert their own lives in order to acquire safety in another land. In efforts of survival and preservations, over four million people have endured perilous treks, clinging to the hope for a better life.

While many nations such as Germany and Turkey have been welcoming their plights with open arms, the unhindered humanitarian reception has not made its way to completely encompass the United States. This “land of opportunity” has faced inner turmoil as ideological lines separate the masses. For example, actions such as the SAFE Act (H.R.4038) have been working their way through political bodies to restrict the influx of refugees into the country. This piece of legislature would make it conceivably harder for a person from Syria or Iran to enter the country instead of someone from another country.

Additionally, fear of these foreigners has manifested itself in a very vocal population overcome with hysterical Xenophobia. Refugees are being labeled as terrorists simply because of their home country or possible beliefs in Islam. This fear stems from uncertainty of the unknown and poorly conceived images of the displaced and helpless people. Within our presidential election, GOP candidates Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz have insisted that only Syrian Christians be given special treatment while Syrian Muslims should be offered no aid.

That blatant disregard for human life has been something absolutely appalling to me. Having xenophobia dictate immigration decisions is like having someone with a fear of heights make a huge national decision banning hot air balloons. It’s not only restricting overwhelmingly positive possibilities but also basing it upon terribly narrow minded and selfish thoughts. While a completely open border could cause serious issues, I feel the U.S. should not simply admonish the whole group for the actions of a very select and outlier few. It is our duty as neighbors sharing the same Earth to help the plight of the Syrians and do our part in making the right decisions to make the world a better place.