4 Dead Following a Shooting at Oxford High School

Megan Pitt '23, Editor in Chief

On November 30, 2021, 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley emerged from the bathroom at Oxford High School and began to shoot his classmates. The first 911 call was received at 12:51 PM and over the course of 5 minutes, 11 people were shot. Before the police arrived at the scene, 30 shots were fired.

Among the shot were Madisyn Baldwin, 17; Tate Myre, 16; Hana St. Juliana, 14; and Justin Shilling, 17. Baldwin was an artist and had been accepted into several colleges with scholarships. Myre was a beloved football player at Oxford, playing Varsity since his freshman year. Now, his peers are petitioning to rename the school’s football team after him. Juliana was a dedicated Oxford basketball player. Shilling was an incredible student who had university scholarships. He was also a treasured employee of Anita’s Kitchen.

According to an article by The New York Times, “the suspect was charged as an adult with one count of terrorism causing death and four counts of first-degree murder”. As for Crumbley’s parents, they will each be charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter as James Crumbley, Ethan’s father, was the owner of the gun.  According to James, the gun was to be a Christmas gift for his son. Another grudge against the parents was held after information was released that the pair had been notified of Ethan’s strange behavior. A drawing had been found by Ethan, detailing violent images. However, Crumbley’s parents dismissed the artwork and requested he stay at school for the remainder of the day. 2 hours later, shots were fired. 

All three Crumbleys will appear in court again over the next few weeks.