New SAT Myths vs. Facts

New SAT Myths vs. Facts

Aaditi Tamhankar '17, Arts and Features Editor

With the unveiling of the new SAT just a few months from now, the worries of students and parents are rising to a crescendo. With many colleges using a student’s scores on this test to make a decision regarding admissions, the stakes are higher than ever. There are currently many myths circulating about the student body regarding the test, and it’s time to put these to rest.

Statement #1: Standardized testing, such as the SAT or ACT is absolutely essential if you want to go to college.

Verdict: MYTH. Over 800 schools in the United States do not require the SAT or the ACT for admissions.

Statement #2: The new SAT is similar to the ACT.

Verdict: FACT. The structure of the reading and writing passages more closely aligns to the ACT’s structure, and the higher math on the SAT, such as trigonometry, is tested on the ACT as well.

Statement #3: The new SAT is harder/easier than the old SAT.

Verdict: HALF TRUTH. The new SAT emphasizes reading more than the old SAT, so if that’s your strength, you may find the new one easier. It’s true that the new SAT has only four answer choices and no guessing penalty, but student scores will be scaled by College Board to make sure they accurately reflect the performance of students. Don’t get your hopes up.

Statement #4: Calculators are allowed on every math section of the new SAT.

Verdict: MYTH. For 25 out of a total of 80 minutes of math, no calculators are allowed. Say “hi” to your old friend long division.

Statement #5: It is scored on a 1600 scale instead of 2400.

Verdict: TRUTH. Reading and writing are combined; they are scored out of 800 points.

Statement #6: The vocabulary is harder on the new SAT.

Verdict: MYTH. The new SAT is actually getting rid of obscure, archaic words, and focusing more on vocabulary in context.

Statement #7: March is a great time to take the new SAT.

Verdict: MYTH. This is the first administration of the test, so nobody knows exactly how it will play out. Test takers will have to put up with minimum six-week score delays for the first two administrations. It’s a better idea to wait until May first when College Board has ironed out any potential problems.