How Memes Are Changing Humor

Chaz Marinelli '17, Staff Writer

Memes: they seem like they do nothing to society whatsoever and yet they have actually impacted society more than you think on a comical level. With these memes, our sense of humor has allowed us to like humor in repetition and in much shorter frequencies. While this may not apply for everyone, it certainly could apply to most people. This all has to do with the definition of a meme, which is, according to Dictionary.com, “a cultural item in the form of an image, video, phrase, etc., that is spread via the Internet and often altered in a creative or humorous way.”

The prime example of most memes since June 2012 is Vine. Famous vines typically have elements of what makes a meme popular because they are short, humorous, editable, and highly quotable. In fact, because of this, a lot of vines are memes by definition. One of many examples of this is the “Why you always lying” vine. This vine is not only comedic on it’s own, but when edited over something else, it can be even funnier and has essentially used the internet to spread all over the place making it highly quotable.

Now, while some memes are videos, other memes are still images with impact font. These memes normally have a name that instantly describes how to use them such as “Bad Luck Brian” or “Anxiety Bird.” While these memes are not used as much anymore, they still contribute to the changes of humor within our society due to their constant use of repetition on the internet. Some other memes involve quotes from commercials, TV shows, and movies. The most famous of these probably being the “One does not simply” meme which comes from “The Lord of the Rings” movie. This is probably a meme West students might see if they’re in upper E-Wing. It’s hung up there proving how widespread and simple memes are and how more people have accepted them into their lives. In the end, these memes are affecting people’s sense of humor, whether it be for better or for worse is up to interpretation. However, there is one person that needs to be mentioned and his name is JOHN CENA!