Meet Coach Wright

Sean Magee '18, Staff Writer

Brian Wright leads the West football team through every game, and through every strenuous practice. From the afternoon of June 6th, through the summer all the way through the last snap of the season, he is a main fixture of what Cherry Hill West football is today, and in its process of growing and improving.

On the field and in the locker room, Wright has long established a positive leadership role. To him, football is about much more than what occurs between the opening kickoff and the final whistle of each Friday night game. He uses football as a way to teach life lessons and to make men of boys.

Prior to all of this, Brian Wright was a high school freshman entering his first year of ever playing football. In an interview with him he stated, “I’ve been around the game my whole life, and that certainly influenced me.” With a father who had played football, and a brother who at the time was also playing, it was not a surprise for him to take interest in the sport.

After his high school career, Wright was able to move on from junior college to playing college football at Rowan University, and taking part in two national championships. He then made his way onto the Rowan coaching staff, and remained there for almost a decade.

Prior to graduating from Rowan, Wright did not have any aspirations to teach or coach. “They both sort of went hand-in-hand with one-another,” he added when asked about the impact one interest had on the other.

When speaking with him, it was very clear how he uses football to teach certain values. “Football helps build character, and provides many situations where your character is tested.” For Wright, football is the perfect platform for the lessons which he believes should be taught.

He also preaches citizenship, dedication, and the value of hard work. Each of which he constantly demonstrates. Coach Wright always makes sure he does his best to keep his players behaving well while in, and out of school. He understands the correlations football has with the rest of a person’s life, and how much it can affect them.

Unfortunately, Wright also realizes that he cannot reach everyone. What he hopes to teach can only be picked up by so many kids. This is something he claims to be one of the most frustrating parts of coaching. Although it bothers him, he knows it is no reason to stop. No reason to stop teaching, stop coaching, or stop leading the way. He certainly does not give up on those who don’t yet buy into his messages.

When speaking of the past kids he has coached, it is evident he is proud to know that while he wasn’t the most important piece in their lives, he impacted them and helped them grow. “You see them going on to be good people. I know I am just part of the process with everyone else around them, but it is nice to know I had a hand in the mix.”

Coach Wright has brought about a new feeling among the team, and a new excitement among the school.