Hillary Clinton for President in 2016: Facts for Thought

Justin Gick '16, Editor-in-Chief

Hillary Clinton, former First Lady, former U.S. Senator to New York, and most recently former Secretary of State is now on the quest to become the first female President of the United States in 2016.  Clinton has had many accomplishments in these past roles and continues to bring excellent leadership skills and ideas to her campaign for this most elevated position. I believe that Hillary will be a strong leader for our country and has a lot of good ideas that she will bring to the table. The United States needs a change in the system and I think it is time for a female President. After listening to some of her speeches and researching her political background, I have come to the conclusion that Hillary Clinton has the chance to get something done and move the US further.

Hillary Clinton has always been a strong leader, as Secretary of State Hillary traveled to 112 countries, oversaw the killing of Osama Bin Laden, negotiated the ceasefire in Gaza that stopped the Hamas from firing rocket after rocket into Israel, and much more. Clinton has the experience to make things happen and plans not to get caught up in the Washington juggernaut.

Another topic that might be of interest is Hillary Clinton’s role in the Benghazi attack. On September 11th, 2012, Islamic militants attacked the American embassy compound in Benghazi, Libya. The State Department had received alerts earlier from the CIA that Benghazi was becoming very unstable. In the end, four Americans were killed including the US Ambassador Chris Stevens. Hillary Clinton took responsibility for what happened which was followed by a Congressional committee that interrogated Clinton on things she did wrong and why she did not see the report. In addition, in March of 2015 Clinton was part of an email controversy where she used her private email server for her official email communications while Secretary of State rather than having official State Department accounts maintained on federal government servers. The FBI investigated the emails and found that some things were top secret and Clinton said she used it because all the Secretary of States before her used a private account. Batches of her emails were released to the public and many were just personal messages. These are the only two major things that could impact her campaign.

Clinton is prepared to handle those topics, but wants to move forward and focus on what she will do for the United States. On her campaign website, her issues are posted for supporters to view. Just to outline some of the issues, on education Hillary plans to support educators by making sure teachers receive the training, mentorship, and support they need to succeed and thrive in the classroom. Clinton also wants to improve student outcomes by working to ensure students with disabilities have the resources and support they need throughout their school years. On gun violence prevention, Hillary plans to keep military-style weapons off our streets, close loopholes that let persons suffering from severe mental purchase and possess guns, and she will support legislation to stop domestic abusers from buying and possessing guns. Clinton has a zero tolerance for this topic and is tired of the mass shootings that have been happening.