Trending News: March 7th – March 14th

Elaina McCollum '23, Staff Writer

Sports

On March 13th Tom Brady announced that he has decided to return to the field with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for his 23rd season. On Instagram, Brady wrote, “These past two months I have realized my place is still on the field and not in the stands. That time will come. But it’s not now.” 

COVID-19

March 14th marks exactly one week since the removal of the mask mandate in New Jersey schools. Life is finally starting to feel normal once again as teachers and students remove their masks. As a student, Joseph Fasnacht says, “it’s so nice to see everyone without being covered by masks. It’s easier to communicate and great overall just like how life used to be.” Covid cases continue to decline in the state, hopefully continuing the process of returning to normalcy. 

Economic News

Gas prices continue to soar as the conflict with Russia and Ukraine continues to progress. Although America barely uses Russian oil anymore, the nation is still majorly affected by this catastrophe. According to CNN, the majority of Russia’s oil goes to Europe and Asia, but not the U.S. This is because oil is priced on a global market, therefore anything that affects one country will affect another. Right now, regular-grade gas is priced anywhere from $4.28 to $5.15 but it continues to fluctuate daily. 

West Spring Sports: 

This week, West’s spring sports officially began. The lacrosse, baseball, softball, golf, and track teams have all started their preparations for the upcoming season. The weather is finally warming up and the teams are returning to the fields following the previous year’s seasons that were shortened due to COVID-19.