Spanish Heritage Tour

Andrew Valentin '16, Staff Writer

Cherry Hill West’s very own Spanish Heritage class is preparing for their annual “Spanish Heritage Tour” throughout the middle and elementary schools in the Cherry Hill School District. The class is offered to students at High School West that have a Spanish-speaking background. The class is run by Cherry Hill West’s Sra. Rivas Mintz. It gives them a chance to embrace their culture, since there may not be many opportunities to embrace who they are in their everyday life in school.

There are many students that take the class, all with families from many different countries. The broad range of countries includes Puerto Rico, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Panama and many more! The goal of the Heritage Tour is to travel to the middle schools and elementary schools in order to give them this same opportunity. Also, it gives the students who may not have this background an opportunity to learn about the many cultures in a myriad of ways, including songs, dances, and skits.

The Heritage Tour is not the only way that West’s Spanish Heritage class gives back to the community. Each year around the holiday season, they collect toys and other items through donations to give to Mi Casita Child Development Center located in Camden, New Jersey. They travel to Mi Casita to give the children the gifts and spend the day with them. Some of the children at the Development Center may not be as fortunate as most, so it gives them an opportunity to open up presents and be around people that give them a positive attitude around the holiday season.

The Spanish Heritage class does a lot for the community, whether here at Cherry Hill West, or our surrounding neighborhoods. We wish them luck for the upcoming Heritage Tour!
¡Buena suerte!