Spirit Week Showdown: Who Will End Up Leading the Pride?

Video courtesy of Angela Rath '16, Broadcasting Club

Josee Matela '16, Staff Writer

This November, the famed tradition returns as each class begins the rivalry of the year to come out on top. Students are in for a “reel” good time with the theme of movies fueling the competition. These themes will accompany the various events planned for each class as they go head to head to earn more points. Alongside the major competitions, students are also encouraged to display their West pride by donning outfits to match the school-wide themes for the day and rack up more points. Points can also be gained through other activities such as attending events and collecting food donations.

Thursday, November 19th – To kick off Spirit Week, Lady Lions will compete in a thrilling Powderpuff flag football game. Seniors and freshmen will pair up in order to take to the field against the combined junior and sophomore team in an electrifying battle for victory. The team that scores the most points wins even more points for their respective classes.

Friday, November 20th – Students slip on their dancing shoes and wrap up the first part of Spirit Week with a high-energy Homecoming Dance. Hosted in the school cafeteria by the freshmen class, the dance will span across all grades and create a school-wide celebration of Spirit Week. The senior homecoming court will also be announced at the dance.

Monday, November 23rd – The arts are alive as many talented members of the West community take to the stage in the Talent Show. Students and faculty will showcase their numerous talents from singing, dancing, and beyond. This year’s production will have a new tier of competition as newly instated judges from around the community will critique acts and declare a winner.

Tuesday, November 24th – The famed Lip-Synch competition pits each class against each other in an upbeat dance battle. Every class will dazzle the stage with a performance of a medley of songs chosen from their specific theme.

Wednesday, November 25th – The highly anticipated grand finale of Spirit Week centers around the Homecoming game against rival school Cherry Hill East and the Pep Rally beforehand to spark up the school’s energy and pump up students for the final round. The pep rally, held during the day, will feature a showcase of the school’s athletics department alongside various acts and the comedic Male Cheerleading performances.

Spirit Week 2015 is looking to be an incredible time for the entire school. Senior Morgan Callan, member of the executive council sums the excitement up perfectly: “I’m so excited for spirit week this year, as seniors it’s the last spirit week we get to have, so we really want to go out with a bang.” That sentiment echoes through the halls as we excitedly await this year’s battle. Best of luck to all!

*Spirit Week Update: Due to inclement weather, the Powderpuff game has been moved to Wednesday, November 25th at 12pm.