Standardized Testing, Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

Charles Marinelli '17, Staff Writer

Oh, I just love standardized testing with the stress, the mess, and the potential fact that your entire graduation could ride on it. Clearly, standardized testing has no drawbacks whatsoever, especially when students miss class time as they circle answers on a scantron or go on a computer and click bubbles instead of actually getting some learning done. Oh, and I know the teachers just adore how they might have to rearrange their schedule for the upcoming tests. I didn’t even mention the best part yet: the highly obtrusive scheduling system that clearly isn’t a problem for anyone. Don’t forget the elongated classes that never seem to drag on at all. It’s such a shame that so many people here don’t want to be part of such a beautiful experience that totally isn’t a waste of time at all. I mean, what are people missing by taking these tests? It’s not like class time is valuable or anything, or that students need to prepare for other tests like AP tests, the SAT, the ACT, and finals.

After all, what’s the point of learning stuff that could be used in general life, or in potential future careers, if there isn’t some big government test about it that clearly determines if someone is truly worthy to graduate high school and go out into the world? Clearly, that’s the main reason to learn things, because there will just be some big government test that randomly occurs in the real world, not because it could be necessary in the real world, but because of the giant test that will happen when you’re thirty-two and your entire schedule has to be rearranged in order to take that test that will dictate if you can survive in the real world. Who knows, at this rate we might need big standardized tests for breathing or for being able to drink water because that is the way the education system needs to go towards. This is the best decision by far because the big government test is the only thing that determines if we can succeed or not. After all it’s not like we have things in the education system that are there to mark if a student is failing or not based on a letter, that would just be plain crazy talk. I mean, if there was a different way to track a student’s success that doesn’t involve some giant standardized test then odds are we would do it that way, and needs for such tests wouldn’t exist unless our country becomes so insecure that we have to put our scores against other countries.