Dr. Morton Reflects on the Upcoming School Year

Justin Gick '16, Editor-in-Chief

I was able to sit down and talk with Dr. Morton about his vision and goals for the upcoming school year. Dr. Morton explained his goals to me by saying that more than anything it is important that when we set goals, they are not just one time goals focusing on one thing. He is trying to look into the process of developing multi-year goals that are progressive in nature and that school officials can continue to build upon.

Changes started last year with academic rigor when school officials began to encourage students to challenge themselves by taking the most rigorous courses possible. They want students to challenge themselves by taking at least one AP course while they are at West and doing so in an area that is one of strength. A lot of times students will see what other kids do and try to load their schedules with all kinds of courses which may not be conducive to their own strengths. Dr. Morton wants students to challenge themselves because research shows that if students take an AP class and the AP test, those students are more than likely to graduate with four years of college before their peers who do not.

Furthermore, Dr. Morton wants to continue to help further staff involvement with students. He wants students to have a say in decision making. These two ideas are his main focus this year.

When asked about the new policies Dr. Morton will be enforcing this year, he said the bathroom policy was created because the school was experiencing some difficulty with vandalism occurring in some of the bathrooms. Vandalism impacts the whole community. It may not be the most positively received type of procedure, but now the administrators can accurately monitor who goes out of the room at any given time. Also, the West administrators issued a new R and A, respect and accountability center, where students who need disciplinary consequences for behavioral support will go. Essentially, it is an in-school suspension center. The West administrators are also monitoring attendance very closely; students need to be in by 7:30 am. Dr. Morton recognizes that it is early, but the bottom line is that part of this developmental process in high school is that you learn discipline and responsibility. If you can learn these two things, you will reach greater success.

In the spring, West will be hosting a career day where students will be able to interact with people from the field that they are interested in pursuing. The professionals will share their stories, background, and training with students. The unique thing about West’s career day is that a majority of the panelists will be West graduates.

When asked about new teachers at West, Dr. Morton said there are sixteen new teachers in total, representing PE, Science, Child Study Team, Psychology, English, Music, World Language, Special Education, and ROTC. They are positive additions to this school.

Dr. Morton’s message to the students this year is to get involved, make West the school it can be. The school building itself is just comprised of bricks and stones, but that is not what gives school life. What gives it life are the students in the school. This school has been historic since 1958 when it opened and it has impacted so many lives. The reason why this school has been able to sustain and endure is because of the people that have come through this building. Dr. Morton added that students pursue their passions and pursue them with vigor while continuing to add to the great legacy others have left behind. I thanked Dr. Morton for his time and wished him the best of luck this school year.