Habitat for Humanity Club Returns

Jessica Rech '16, Staff Writer

After some years off, the Habitat for Humanity Club is back at West. Internationally, Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that builds affordable and decent housing and communities in the U.S. and around the world. The organization’s headquarters is in Americus, Georgia, and has four other offices in South Africa, Thailand, Slovakia, and Costa Rica to accommodate for all corners of the globe. In a local setting, Habitat has different affiliate offices supporting their organization. The Habitat for Humanity Club at West is considered an advocate of the organization and works in a similar fashion.

The club, started by senior Cathy Phan and advisor Mr. Frost, is a perfect fit for West in the ways that it provides opportunities for students to participate in community service through the school and the ability for students to help make their community better for its residents, says Cathy, president of the club. She hopes that in joining the club students will realize “that small things can make a big impact and that students can change their community.” Although the club will not be able to work in a way as grand as the international Habitat for Humanity organization, it will be able to aid in projects started by the Habitat affiliate within the local community. Every person who helps, no matter the number of people or the size of the community, is beneficial to those in need.

Participants of the club will be able to help with fundraising, as well as volunteer at building sites within the community throughout the school year. There will also be a tool drive organized by the club later on in the school year. As president, Cathy is able to coordinate building sites with local Habitat affiliates, Mr. Frost, and West, as well as organize the club’s officers. Mr. Frost’s role in the club is that he will be able to get school approval for the events that the club organizes and the sites it visits to build houses and of course help with club activities.

The Habitat for Humanity Club had its first meeting in Mr. Frost’s room during LB2 on September 25th. Subsequent meetings will be held once every two weeks. At the moment the club has about 10 members with officers chosen by Cathy. Members will be very involved in dealing with the fundraising and home building that the club will organize and are expected to have the time, generosity, and passion to participate in these events. Any students who are interested in the club and willing to get involved are welcome, so please stop by and take the opportunity to help the Cherry Hill community.